Artificial Urinary Sphincter (AUS): AMS 800 — The Gold Standard
What is an artificial urinary sphincter?
- The AMS 800® Urinary Control System is the only artificial urinary sphincter currently on the market. For over 40 years, physicians worldwide have implanted the device in more than 135,000 men as a treatment for stress urinary incontinence.
- The AMS 800 is an implantable, fluid-filled, solid silicone elastomer device used to treat incontinence caused by reduced outlet resistance in urethra or bladder neck (also known as intrinsic sphincter deficiency). The system simulates normal sphincter function by opening and closing the urethra, under patient control.
- The AMS 800 has been shown to be an effective treatment for male stress urinary incontinence.
What are the benefits of an artificial urinary sphincter?
The AMS 800 offers these benefits in helping to restore patients’ continence and thus quality of life:
- Time-Tested — Since 1972, the AMS 800 has been considered the gold standard for urologists treating incontinence due to intrinsic sphincter deficiency (ISD) following prostatectomy.
- Safe — This surgical technique requires just one or two small incisions.
- Effective — It is capable of offering most men with ISD the opportunity to achieve continence over time.
- Long-Lasting — It provides effective lasting continence.